Business Development Manager
Hours: Full-time, permanent, with occasional evening and weekend work
Reporting to: Founder & Managing Director
Tappers Gin – an independent family business with a passion for producing spirits that are genuinely and authentically made in the way they are advertised. We’ve been handcrafting our own spirits since May 2016 from our seaside surroundings on the Wirral Peninsula, near to the historic cities of Liverpool and Chester.
Our gin presents the rediscovery of a lost style of production using a process known as compounding. We have brought back the concept but to a superior quality using artisanal methods and high-quality natural ingredients. Our aim is to produce spirits with a deep complexity of aroma and a full-flavoured body. That’s why our range is a hit with foodies and chefs and served in some of the finest restaurants in the UK.
We have received critical international acclaim with awards from the IWSC and San Francisco World Spirits Competition among others. Our spirits can be found in high-end venues throughout the UK and overseas, including Michelin-starred restaurants and five-star hotels.
To support the continued growth of our business, we are seeking to recruit the services of a full-time Business Development Manager.
This role will take the lead in conversations with carefully selected on-trade, retail and wholesale customers, working in tandem with the team at our nano-Distillery to create and increase demand for our spirits. There will be freedom and responsibility to identify new business opportunities, develop existing business, and drive awareness, growth and sales of our multi-award-winning brand across the UK.
- To be the face of Tappers Gin in the UK, representing and presenting our portfolio of spirits to new and existing customers
- Embody our ethos, ethics and integrity and leave a positive impression with every customer and client
- Be an expert on our portfolio of spirits
- Engage and educate customers and clients and build visibility of and affinity with our brand
- Influence relationships and develop strong links within the spirits industry
- Develop and manage sales initiatives to drive sales as required
- Contribute to year-on-year growth in on-trade, off-trade and wholesale revenue
- Identify new opportunities through research and engagement with prospective customers and clients
- Develop, oversee and manage on a day-to-day basis our Brand Ambassador community, working together transparently
- Work with the senior management team to curate, support and ultimately deliver a successful calendar of industry and consumer events throughout the year
- Monitor and analyse the market, brand and competitor performance in the on-trade, off-trade and wholesale environments and proactively make recommendations to the senior management team
- Develop and sustain a call-cycle to liaise with accounts and manage relationships with customers
- Curate and deliver successful industry training, tastings, events and experiences, and recommend and deliver incentives to priority customers and clients
- Passionate and knowledgeable about spirits, and in particular the gin category
- Influential within the hospitality industry with a strong network of established contacts
- Results driven
- An experienced salesperson, ideally with a background in brand representation, sales, marketing, publicity or public relations
- Educated to at least A-Level standard or equivalent
- Competent in the use of IT, including Microsoft Office applications and in particular Excel and PowerPoint to develop and manipulate spreadsheets and produce and deliver presentations
- Willing and able to travel around the UK and to the Distillery on the Wirral Peninsula: it is essential for the successful applicant to hold a clean and full UK driving licence as travel is integral to the role
- Extremely self-motivated and organised with an ability to work alone
- Pro-active in establishing, and maintaining, relationships with customers and clients
- An excellent communicator and exceptional presenter, with a friendly and approachable disposition
- Professional in conduct and appearance, adapting to the environment as appropriate
Experience of working behind a bar would be an advantage, as would holding a Personal Alcohol Licence and Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Qualification at Higher Level.
- £28,000pa plus bonus (target driven)
- Company car
- 28 days annual leave
Complete and submit the online application form, together with your CV and covering letter outlining your suitability for the role and what you believe you can bring to the Tappers Gin family.
Short-listed candidates will be called to interview at the Distillery.